Sunday, July 29, 2012

A New View Refreshes Ugly Weeding Stories

I'm prepping to teach a weeding course again, an activity (the teaching about the why's and how's of weeding) I've undertaken at least annually during the past decade. This is a library training need that I wear like a hair shirt: I righteously believe in weeding and believe that it's possible and beneficial to teach as a set of skills--and confronting 50+ learners' anxieties and hatreds of the topic makes me burst out in a painful rash.

Blessed be, then, my discovery today of a somewhat off-topic infographic that might--might--ramp the next round of the course up a notch in the hearts and viewpoints of those who are sent to learn because they must weed. Published in the Digital Curation Centre's blog, it goes a good colorful way toward replacing images of dusty, ravaged and/or politically anachronistic books to show the life cycle of viable data itself.  Instead of arguing from the point of moral and geometric needs, it presents a course of habitual appraisal and reappraisal, with the community toward the center of the need to weed as well as to acquire.

Thanks, you smart folks across the Puddle!  I needed that!

No comments:

Post a Comment